The Bruin Guardian Scholars Program is dedicated to providing current and former foster youth with resources to help support students throughout their academic endeavors. BGS has numerous partners and liaisons to help make your time at UCLA as stress-free as possible. We offer resources that span from campus resources, where we can get you in contact with liaisons that can help you with academic, financial, or even mental wellness; to community resources, where we get you in contact with individuals who can help you with transitional housing, and other basic needs. We also try and connect our BGS members with employment and scholarship opportunities. 

Please check below for the available resources. If you have questions, feel free to contact us. 

Academic Resources


There are many options for academic counseling at UCLA depending on your needs. As a Guardian Scholar you should make an appointment with your advisers as needed, however, it is a good idea to try to see your College Academic Counselor and your Departmental Advisor at least once a quarter to make sure you are on track for graduation and meeting all of your major requirements.


AAP addresses the specific needs of students who come from historically disadvantage backgrounds through specialized programming and resources. AAP offers academic advising specifically for Guardian Scholars.

  • Membership is required to use their services, to find out if you are eligible for these services visit 1232 Campbell Hall or see the AAP website.
    • Professional Counselors at AAP: All AAP Counselors are available for scheduled appointments and walk-in advising. Please Call (310) 825-1481 or drop by the AAP Counseling Front Desk at 1205 Campbell Hall to schedule a time to meet with your AAP Professional Counselor or Peer Counselor.
    • Peer Counselors at AAP: AAP peer counselors are para-professional undergraduate academic counselors who are extensively trained on university resources and policy. They also provide a student-focused look at life at UCLA - both academically and socially.


The Campus Library Instructional Computing Commons (CLICC) offers technology and support for UCLA students, faculty, and staff. CLICC provides services such as laptop lending, printing, study room reservations, projector loans, computer stations, and a wide variety of instructional software.

  • Checkout laptops using your BruinCard at 7 different locations around campus! For FREE!


Center for Accessible Education (CAE) provides accommodations to students with permanent or temporary disabilities and chronic medical conditions.

  • Services include: research assistance, in class note taking, adaptive equipment for the classroom, mobility assistance, and much more.
  • If you are not sure if you have a disability, please contact the CAE.
  • Main Location: Murphy Hall A255
  • Phone: (310) 825-1501
  • Proctoring Center Location and contact: A242 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-2651


Referred to as College Counselors, College Advisors, Academic Advisors, or College Academic Counseling-–which can sometimes be confusing to transfers.

  • Each student’s situation is unique. While there are multiple ways to get your questions answered and the website is a good place to start, you should definitely meet with an advisor to go over your case specifically.
  • CAC is the place to go for general questions regarding requirements for graduation, any academic difficulty you may be experiencing, and program planning such as double majoring or taking on a minor.
  • The CAC website offers FAQs regarding academic regulations, online advising, and other online resources.
  • CAC offers three counseling options:
    • Full-time College Counselors and Staff
      • Academic Counselors are available to meet with UCLA students for same-day appointments Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., make a same-day appointment by visiting Window 2 in A-316 Murphy Hall. Be aware that no appointments are available 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. on Friday mornings and that Window 2 will also be closed at this time.
      • Students in Honors, AAP (Academic Advancement Program) or Athletics must meet with a fulltime college counselor in their respective advising unit.
    • College Academic Mentors (CAM)
      • CAMs are graduate students from various academic departments who are available to advise undergraduates on topics such as preparing for graduate school.
      • CAMs are available for both same-day and advance appointments. Schedule your appointment with a CAM at A-316 Murphy, Window 1. Keep in mind that CAMs are unavailable for appointments from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. every Wednesday and that and Window 1 will also be closed at this time.
    • ASK Peer Counselors
      • Another option, if you have a quick question, is to visit an ASK Peer Counselor at one of their five locations. ASK Peer Counselors are undergraduate student advisors trained in UCLA policies and procedures. They are available Monday through Friday at five locations on campus.
      • ASK Peer Counselors also write and produce a terrific resource newsletter called Bear Necessities that comes out weekly and is full of terrific information for students.
      • They are great resources for:
        • Questions about College policies and deadlines
        • Petitions and forms
        • Referrals


As part of the Student Retention Center, the Writing Success Program offers quarterly workshops, one-on-one writing support, and daily drop-in hours.

  • Their goal is to help ease students’ anxiety about writing and increase student confidence in their analytic and communication skills.
  • Location: Student Activities Center, Room 106


The UCLA First Year Experience (FYE) Office helps students in navigating campus resources and provides programming, research, and information supportive of First Year Bruins’ success in the areas of academic success, personal identity development, building community, and health and well-being.

Contact: Allyson McComb

Phone: 310-983-3477


The Graduate Student Writing Center offers a variety of workshops and programs throughout the year. During the summer, they offer various dissertation "boot camps" for graduate students working on dissertation proposals and dissertations. For master's thesis writers in humanities and social sciences, they offer a master's thesis writing program. They also organize independent writing groups in winter quarter, primarily for doctoral students.

Schedule an appointment with them!


In order to see an honors counselor a student must be accepted into the College Honors Program. To find out if you qualify see the Honors Program Website.

  • One of the advantages of being in the UCLA Honors Program is that you are assigned an individual honors counselor to help you plan your time out as a transfer student and find honors courses that best meet your academic needs and graduation goals.
  • Honors Programs utilizes the Same-Day Counseling Appointment System. They begin signing up students at 8:30 a.m. every morning for appointments that begin at 9:00 a.m. of the same day.
  • Location: Murphy Hall A-311
  • You may also call them at 310-825-1553, but they finish booking appointments first for those who are at the front desk before they entertain appointment requests by phone.


There are many ways to participate in study abroad as a transfer student. Be sure to check out the UCLA International Education Office Website to learn about all the options and to find out more information.


The S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Program provides an interactive learning environment that emphasizes life-long learning habits, goal setting, teamwork, leadership and character. These services are only available to UCLA student athletes.

  • Athletics Peer Learning Lab: Student athletes can receive free tutoring services for their classes.
  • Athletics offers different programs for athletes to develop different skills and also offers workshops, mentors, and a leadership council.


Print out graded past exams that were given by your current professors through the process at the CPO Test Bank.

  • The service is free to students and it is easy to use as a new transfer, simply go to Room 105 in the Student Activities Center and sign up.
  • To continue using the resource after your first quarter you must bring a graded exam in exchange for more past tests.


Everyone needs tutoring: not just those struggling academically, but also those who want to succeed in the quarter system!

  • A complete list of tutoring resources available for a variety of subjects can be found through UCLA College of Letters and Sciences.
  • For more tutoring options, contact your Departmental Advisor.
    • Advisors are usually listed under "Contacts" or "Staff", and are generally described as “Undergraduate Advisors" or "Departmental Counselors".
  • You may be able to find additional tutoring in the Los Angeles area for a fee through websites such as ULoop and Wyzant. These are outside organizations not connected with UCLA.
  • There are many options for academic support in Residential Life such as College Academic Mentors, Classes on the Hill, and Undergraduate Writing Center locations on the Hill, you can find out about them here.
  • The Student Initiated Access Center is a student-run, student-initiated outreach program. Services include peer advising, skill building, and tutoring for historically underserved populations.
  • If you qualify for AAP, you have access to their peer mentoring service which offers free tutoring to all AAP students who want to strengthen their abilities to think independently, read analytically, write well, reason quantitatively, and study effectively.
  • The Student Retention Center offers peer counseling, mentorship, and tutoring to undergraduates with academic difficulties, and cultural and social transitions.
  • The UCLA Library offers a terrific online guide, one-on-one help, workshops on multiple topics such as how to write research papers, and more. Check out their website for more resources and information.
  • The Undergraduate Writing Center helps students with particular writing assignments and also guides students to become more effective and confident writers. They offer one-on-one appointments with peer learning facilitators, as well as walk-in appointments for more immediate questions. If you are using this resource be sure to start early in the quarter as the later in the term it gets the more difficult it is to get in to see the experts.
  • Community Programs Office’s Writing Success Program: Get one-on-one writing counseling with peer support, quarterly workshops on writing, and daily drop-in hours.
  • Below are additional resources outside of UCLA that others have found to be helpful:


Each department at UCLA has its very own counselor to help students with their upper division requirements working towards a degree.

  • If you have questions regarding your major/minor requirements, courses for your major/minor, professors in your major/minor, or anything having to do with your major/minor you would go see your departmental advisor.
  • Transfer students should definitely sit down with their departmental advisor at least once a quarter to make sure that they are on track with their major requirements and go over any questions specific to the department.
  • To find out who your counselor is and where their office is located check on your departments UCLA webpage. Click here for a quick link to find your department’s page.


There are eleven libraries available for students and each offer a variety of resources and services.

  • The libraries have many different tools to help students succeed, from research tutorials, to book reserves from other campuses, to one-on-one appointments with librarians, and reserved study spaces, these are a terrific resources to utilize. Some libraries have 24-hour study space.
  • The UCLA Library website alone provides a priceless resource for students. Also offered through the Library are workshops and tutorials regarding how to formulate a research question, conducting thorough database searches, techniques of research writing, proper citing, and more.


The Writing Center provides individualized consultations on writing.

  • They offer support at any point in the writing process: when students are starting a writing assignment; after they have written a draft or part of a draft; after they have gotten feedback from a professor or TA and want to begin revising; as they are polishing a paper and want help in learning how to proofread and edit their own writing.
  • Contact Information: (310) 206-1320;
  • Hours and Locations:
    • A61 Humanities Location
      • Hours: Mon.-Thurs., 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.; Fri., 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
      • 50-minute appointments & walk-in appointments available
    • Rieber Hall 115 Location (for on-campus residents only)
      • Hours: Sun.-Thurs., 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
      • 25- and 50-minute appointments available & walk-in appointments subject to availability
    • Powell Library 228 Location
      • Hours: Sun.-Thurs., 6:00 p.m.  - 9:00 p.m.
    • Walk-in service available too


The URC assists students in research. The centers support scholarly, critical, and creative research, provides mentoring and tutorials, and administers research stipends and scholarships.

Commuter & Transportation Resources


UCLA Transportation offers a variety of options for students who need to commute every day, weekends or holidays, or just want to get around the city. There are options for walking, biking, public transit, carpool, and vanpool.

  • For maps of UCLA click here.
  • Driving directions to UCLA.
  • If you will be driving to campus most days and need to park remember that parking passes go very quickly and there are specific due date for parking application. It is important to stay on top of these dates and deadlines as parking off campus can be very difficult and time consuming.


There are many options as a commuter at UCLA, especially if you use public transportation. There are the Bruin Commuter Club, BruinGo! Transit, and the UCLA Vanpool ( that offer less expensive travel options.

Go Metro! 

You can save up to $10 on your transit pass if your income qualifies you for Metro's Rider Relief Program (RRTP). If eligible, you’ll get fare subsidy coupons to use each month when buying your transit pass from participating providers and pass sales outlets.

Financial Resources

580 CAFE

580 Café is a place to grab some food, study, or simply chill. No costs, no questions, no kidding.


The purpose of the food closet is to provide food and sustenance for any UCLA students who might be experiencing hunger and/or struggling to attain food due to financial hardships. This wonderful resource is overseen by the Community Programs Office. They also take donations. 

Location: 1st Floor of the Student Activities Center


The Career Closet at UCLA serves as a resource of gently-used professional attire for all currently enrolled UCLA students. The Career Closet helps students with their professional dress needs for upcoming graduate school/job interviews as well as career fairs. Located approximately 10 minutes (walking distance) from campus, it is convenient and easily accessible for all students.


The ECR Team is an online resource that offers options for on-campus financial assistance at UCLA for students who have been impacted by a current economic crisis.

  • They also offer a Resource Guide which explores a variety of on- and off-campus financial resources.
  • If you are in financial distress please e-mail


The Financial Aid Office provides students information regarding their financial aid award and how to maintain eligibility.

  • The Financial aid office is open for walk-in service Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
  • The Financial Aid Office staff is also available on the phones, Monday – Friday from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. at (310) 206-0400 and by e-mail at
  • You can find many FAQs on their website, such as scholarship information, work-study options, important dates and deadlines, etc.
  • Location: Murphy Hall, Suite A-129J


It is the mission of the FWP to help empower students to confidently navigate their finances to support their overall wellness and help them to be self-sustaining.

  • They provide one-on-one problem-solving, workshops, and other financial education experiences.


For information relating to your student loans, debt management, and loan consolidation Student Loan Services is the place to go.


The SRC helps students find scholarships they are eligible for and also provides workshops on how to go about applying for scholarships. SRC offers drop-in scholarship counseling, proofreading of essays, workshops, and more.


Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program

The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies or credit-bearing, career-oriented internships abroad. Such international exchange is intended to better prepare U.S. students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world.


Orangewood Children's Foundation: Children’s Trust Fund Program (CTF)


If you are a current or former Orange County foster youth under the age of 21, Orangewood Children’s Trust Fund (CTF) may be able to help you with your expenses. CTF provides financial, educational, and emergency assistance to current and former foster youth with an emphasis on those who are pursuing higher education after emancipation. You may be eligible for grants for school or other expenses, or for scholarships for higher education!


CIEE Study Abroad Program

For many students, a study abroad experience is only possible with financial assistance. Each year CIEE awards scholarships and grants to students who plan to study overseas. Please read the eligibility criteria and the application procedures for each scholarship carefully.


Congressional Black Caucus Foundation

CBCF is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy research and educational institute that aims to improve the socioeconomic circumstances of African Americans and other underserved communities. Each year, CBCF rewards students across the nation with academic scholarships.


The Hispanic Scholarship Fund

Everything you need to know about our scholarships and how to apply can be found here.  Please scroll down so you can become familiar with the easy-access information and online tools we have created for your convenience. As the nation’s largest provider of college financial aid to Latino students, the Hispanic Scholarship Fund offers a diverse range of scholarship programs, including Gates Millennium Scholars.  Our aim is to provide you with the information and resources you need to achieve success. ¡Suerte!


Foster Care to Success

FC2S partners with organizations, foundations, and individuals to deliver scholarships to foster youth across the country. With this funding and our support, hundreds of young people reach their educational goals every year.


United Negro College Fund (UNCF) Corporate Scholars Program

Welcome to the UNCF scholarships, programs, internships and fellowships website. UNCF manages various scholarship programs and each program has its own eligibility criteria, open/close dates and required documentation. To apply for a UNCF scholarship, you must apply through the on-line application process. As many of the UNCF scholarships require that the scholarship recipient apply for Federal Student Aid, it is recommended that applicants complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Get in-depth information on federal student aid programs and applying for financial aid at

Find in-depth guides for studying smarter so that you can get the most out of your college education. In addition, we'll feature articles with tips on paying for school, planning for college, maximizing military benefits, and student lifestyle. Also, check out the financial aid guide created specifically for Hispanic and Latino students.


Jack Kent Cooke Foundation

The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation is a private, independent foundation established by Jack Kent Cooke to help exceptionally promising students reach their full potential through education. Launched in 2000, the Foundation focuses in particular on students with financial need. The Foundation's scholarship and direct service programs support the education of approximately 650 remarkable students each year, while our grant making allows thousands more to engage in challenging educational experiences.


Work-Study is a need-based form of Financial Aid that you earn through on or off-campus employment and receive in the form of a paycheck. The intent of the Work-Study Program is to encourage part-time employment and reduce the amount of loan debt incurred while attending college. Work-Study does so by paying a portion of your salary thus making it more advantageous for an employer to hire you. Lastly, any earnings made under work-study do not count against your aid eligibility when filling out the next year’s FAFSA or California Dream Act application.

Professional Resources


The Bruin Leaders Project is a seminar-based, leadership development program designed to provide effective leadership training with emphasis on personal growth and community involvement. Open to all UCLA students (undergraduates & graduates), BLP offers interactive seminars and activities focused on developing the qualities of being a successful leader and enacting positive social change. Students wishing to pursue the program in greater depth also have an opportunity to enroll in BLP’s seminar class for academic credit.


The Career Center is an incredible resource for transfers! They offer career development services for students including career counseling, events and workshops, jobs and internship search, and graduate and professional school preparation services.

  • Make sure to take advantage of their one-on-one career counseling appointments, Bruinview the online job search and networking tool available to you as a student for free, and the thorough career guide that the UCLA Career Center prints each year.




BruinView is your gateway to online Career Center services and event sign ups, exclusively for UCLA students and eligible alumni. BruinView™ grants one-stop access to hundreds of jobs and internships as well as access to other essential employment, internship and graduate school resources. Submit your resume to one or more of our 14 resume books, RSVP for employer information sessions, and view career fair directories.


The Volunteer Center promotes civic engagement to UCLA students through the integration of teaching, research and service alongside community partners.

  • Programs offered through the UCLA Volunteer Center include UCLA Volunteer Day (an incredible opportunity every fall quarter to participate in a service event in the Los Angeles community with thousands of other Bruins), One Bus, One Cause events (join a bus full of UCLA students and volunteer for the day in areas that have need), Operation Gratitude (a yearlong letter writing project in which volunteers write hand-written letters to US military service members around the world), and so much more!


The URC assists students in research. The centers support scholarly, critical, and creative research, provides mentoring and tutorials, and administers research stipends and scholarships.

Student Services


The Campus Library Instructional Computing Commons (CLICC) offers technology and support for UCLA students, faculty, and staff. CLICC provides services such as laptop lending, printing, study room reservations, projector loans, computer stations, and a wide variety of instructional software.

  • Checkout laptops using your Bruincard at 7 different locations around campus! For FREE!

Vice Initiative for Pre-College Scholars (VIPS)

VIP Scholars was established in 2006 in response to the declining number of underrepresented students admitted and enrolled at competitive four-year universities. In collaboration with key stakeholders at UCLA, this intervention was designed to prepare high school students from underrepresented backgrounds for admissions to competitive four-year universities such as UCLA, through counseling, mentoring, student leadership, academic advising, and summer residential programs.

Contact: Dr. Jonli Tunstall at (310)-825-2366

Undergraduate Admissions and Relations with Schools (UARS)

You should be proud of your accomplishments. The combination of your personal and academic achievements makes you an ideal addition to the UCLA community. Now, what do you need to know to make your transition to the university as smooth as possible? This site contains all the information you need to take you from the moment you were admitted to the first day of class.


UCLA has established a comprehensive safety and security program including police, fire, and medical units; a campus escort service available from dusk until 1:00 a.m.; and an evening van service.

  • The Evening Van Service provides a safe means of transportation around campus during the evening hours. The vans provide transportation between campus buildings, on-campus housing and nearby residential areas. The service is free of charge and available to all UCLA students, staff, faculty and visitors. For added safety, the vans are driven by Community Service Officers (CSOs) who carry two-way radios, providing a direct link to the UCLA Police Department.
  • CSO escorts are available free of charge to walk with students, faculty, staff or visitors 365 days a year from dusk until 1 a.m. between campus buildings, local living areas or Westwood Village within the approximate boundaries of Sunset Boulevard to the north, Hilgard to the east, Wilshire to the South, and Veteran to the west.
  • UCPD Website


The Career Center is an incredible resource for transfers! They offer career development services for students including career counseling, events and workshops, jobs and internship search, and graduate and professional school preparation services.

  • Make sure to take advantage of their one-on-one career counseling appointments, Bruinview the online job search and networking tool available to you as a student for free, and the thorough career guide that the UCLA Career Center prints each year.
  • Website


In collaboration with campus academic departments, the Center for Community Learning offers UCLA undergraduates the opportunity to participate in civic engagement through a variety of structured, rigorous academic courses that link theory with practice.

  • They offer internship courses, a Civic Engagement and a Disabilities Minor, as well as a number of other learning courses and programs.


CPO provides student-initiated, student-run outreach, service and retention programs that focuses on giving back to historically marginalized communities by engaging, educating, and empowering students.


UCLA is home for more than 12,000 international students and scholars away from home. The Dashew Center is the place where domestic and international students and scholars meet. We enhance the UCLA experience for international students and scholars with our multicultural programs and services. We assist UCLA academic departments with visa services. We serve as a resource and learning center for the entire UCLA community to promote global connection, international understanding and cultural sensitivity.

Contact: Jennie Weingarten at


The Dean of Students Office oversees most Honors societies at UCLA. They are a good point of contact if you should have any concerns or issues as a student at UCLA especially when it comes to campus climate, academic integrity, and other rights and regulations.


The UCLA Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Campus Resource Center is the crossroads of the LGBTQ community at UCLA, providing a comprehensive range of education and advocacy services supporting intersectional identity development. They foster an open, safe and inclusive environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, transgender, queer, asexual, questioning, and same-gender-loving students, faculty, staff, alumni, their families, and the entire campus community.

Center for Accessible Education (CAE)

CAE provides accommodations to students with permanent or temporary disabilities and most chronic medical conditions.

  • Services include: research assistance, in class note taking, adaptive equipment for the classroom, mobility assistance, and much more.
  • If you are not sure if you have a disability, please contact the CAE.
  • Main Location: Murphy Hall A255
  • Phone: (310) 825-1501
  • Proctoring Center Location and contact: A242 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-2651


The Registrar’s Office website offers a number of sources of information. The quarterly Schedule of Classes, General Catalog of course descriptions, and lists all important dates and deadlines can be found here. This is also where you will go for course registration dates, financial aid dates, deadlines to add/drop classes, information on changing grading type, and all other important deadlines to keep in mind for the quarter and for the entire year.

  • Location: 1113 Murphy Hall
    • The Registrar's Office is open from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (except holidays).
    • Some services are available online, by telephone, or in person. See the Registrar's Services Directory in the current Schedule of Classes for services that may be available through these media.


Residential Life is responsible for creating safe, supportive, and inclusive living-learning communities for students living on-campus. They offer resources like academic support resources and specialized programming.


Student Legal Services provides confidential legal counseling and assistance regarding a wide range of legal issues to all currently registered and enrolled UCLA students.

  • They are able to help students with a variety of problems, including: Landlord/Tenant Relations, Accident and Injury Problems, Domestic Violence and Harassment, Criminal Matters, Divorces and Other Family Law Matter, Automobile Purchases, Credit, Collections, and Financial Issues, Employment Matters, and Health Care and Consumer Problems.
  • They are also able to discuss issues students may be having with various UCLA departments such as housing, financial aid, discrimination, etc.
  • Students may make an appointment by telephone or in person, and there is a $10 fee for the initial one-hour consultation with an experienced attorney. The office is open Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  • Location: Murphy Hall A239
  • Phone: (310)-825-9894


SOLE advises about 1000 campus organizations. Services include registration of new and continuing organizations, programming assistance, organization development, fundraising approval and guidelines, funding proposal consultation, and advisement on rules and regulations. The Main Office also approves time, place, and manner for the campus activities of registered organizations.

  • With so many groups on campus, there is a good chance there is one with your interest and liking. Click here to search all the groups and organizations on campus.
  • Location: Kerckhoff Hall 105
  • Phone: (310) 825-7041
  • Email:


The Office of Ombuds Services is a place where members of the UCLA community (students, faculty, staff, and administration) can go for assistance in resolving conflicts, disputes, or complaints on an informal basis.

  • Acting as neutrals and committed to confidentiality, the Ombudspersons may gather information on complaints, clarify issues, expedite processes or, when appropriate, initiate mediation.
  • Location: Strathmore Building, Suite 105
  • Phone: (310) 825-7627
  • Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday–Friday or by appointment


The Volunteer Center promotes civic engagement to UCLA students through the integration of teaching, research and service alongside community partners.

  • Programs offered through the UCLA Volunteer Center include UCLA Volunteer Day (an incredible opportunity every fall quarter to participate in a service event in the Los Angeles community with thousands of other Bruins), One Bus, One Cause events (join a bus full of UCLA students and volunteer for the day in areas that have need), Operation Gratitude (a yearlong letter writing project in which volunteers write hand-written letters to US military service members around the world), and so much more!


The Undergraduate Research Centers (URC) assist students in research. The centers support scholarly, critical, and creative research, provides mentoring and tutorials, and administers research stipends and scholarships.

  • The Center for Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences helps students improve their research skills, define academic interests and become a part of the university research community.
  • The Center for Undergraduate Research in Sciences works to serve students and faculty in the life and physical sciences, engineering and mathematics. The center focuses on increasing the retention of science majors in all disciplines, as well as preparing students for academic and research careers.


USAC is a student governing body made up of fourteen student officers and commissioners that are elected by members of the Undergraduate Students Association.

  • Elections are held every year in the spring. There are many leadership, job, and internship opportunities through USAC that transfers should certainly get involved in if they are interested in the politics and policy of student government.

Student Health & Wellness Resources


ASHE is your student health center, they provide quality, state-of-the-art healthcare, and education to support the unique development of UCLA students.

  • Health Insurance is mandatory for all UCLA registered students and a condition of enrollment.
  • The UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) is a comprehensive medical insurance program offered to UCLA students. All registered students are automatically enrolled in UC SHIP, but if you have comparable insurance and you do not want to keep UC SHIP as dual coverage, you must submit a request to waive enrollment by the specified deadline.
  • ASHE is the health center that you will use as a student with UC SHIP. Students can schedule appointments online, in-person, or by phone and can communicate with their primary care providers via secure electronic messaging.
  • Hours of Operation (Academic Year Regular Hours)
    • Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
    • Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
    • Walk-ins available: Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
    • Closed Sundays & all University Holidays
  • Contact Information
    • Main Line: (310) 825-4073
    • Nurse Consult: (310) 825-4073, Option 2
    • 24/7 Nurseline: (877) 351-3457
  • Location: 221 Westwood Plaza (Bruin Plaza), Los Angeles, CA 90095
  • UCLA Emergency Room: (310) 825-2111


UCLA’s Consultation & Response Team is composed of representatives from key campus departments, such as The College, Student Affairs, and the UCLA Police Department The Team meets weekly to identify students in crisis, then works quickly and collaboratively to assess a distressed student’s needs, direct her/him to campus and community resources, and consult with the UCLA offices impacted by the crisis.


CAPS is the student mental health center on campus that provides a multitude of services including individual counseling, group therapy, wellness programming, urgent care counseling, and more.

  • All currently registered UCLA students are eligible for all services offered by The Counseling Center. Students, who are not currently registered, please refer to their fee schedule for specific pricing information.
  • Location: John Wooden Center West, 221 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1556. The entrance faces the Intramural Field and Drake Stadium. Reception is located on the second floor. The first floor contains conference and group rooms only.
  • Phone: (310) 825-0768
    • Crisis counseling available 24-hours a day by phone.
  • Hours of Operation:
    • Monday through Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
    • Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. 
      • (Except for University holidays)


MARC’s mission is to teach and promote mindful awareness and mindfulness mediation.

  • There are many ways to bring mindfulness into your life such as mediation, yoga, nature, etc. Regardless of the method mindfulness has proved to have some very beneficial results. Research shows that mindfulness can lower blood pressure and boost the immune system; increase attention and focus, including aid those suffering from ADHD; help with difficult mental states such as anxiety and depression, fostering well-being and less emotional reactivity; and thicken the brain in areas in charge of decision making, emotional flexibility, and empathy.
  • MARC offers classes and workshops to the general public
  • Free Drop-in meditation sessions are available to students and there are free guided meditation on the MARC website that are terrific to use all the time and particular under times of high stress….such as finals week.


UCLA Recreation offers a wide range of recreational activities and services. Students, through their tuition and fees, have access to recreation facilities and may purchase additional services.

  • All current UCLA students have a membership to the Wooden Center to go work out whenever they have the time!
    • Activities available include: full gym, cardio equipment, and a climbing wall. Wellness programming, group classes, open recreation, club sports, and outdoor adventures, and more!

UCLA TIES for Families

On any given day, there are thousands of children in foster care in Los Angeles County for whom adoption is being planned. Many have special needs. UCLA TIES for Families is an interdisciplinary, university-based program that works in collaboration with the public child welfare and mental health systems. Our innovative model of services significantly reduces barriers to the adoption of these children and supports their successful transition into permanent homes with stable, nurturing families.

Contact: Sheila at 310-794-7743

GRIT Peer-to-Peer Life Coaching Program

The GRIT Peer-to-Peer Life Coaching program is committed to the development and well-being of the whole student. GRIT stands for guidance, resilience, integrity and transformation.  In this program, UCLA students receive individualized support from trained peer coaches, with the aims of enhancing overall well-being and improving academic and personal success by utilizing various strategies for empowerment.  Topic areas that peer coaches focus on during their one-on-one sessions with students include stress management and mindfulness, fostering positive social connections, goal setting, academic skills enrichment and navigating campus resources. 

Click here to request a coach.

Community Resources


Qualify for priority enrollment.

BGS Community Resources


Do you want to know where the best locations in you city are to live? What nearby amenities each city has to offer? What the average cost of living is for an individual living in that city is? This is a great site that allows you to compare and contrast the livability of nearby cities.

Beyond Emancipation

Beyond Emancipation is based in Alameda County's. Beyond Emancipation (B:E) provides transitional housing, crisis informed coaching and a myriad of workforce development and education supports to youth with experience in foster care or probation placements. A list of services and eligibility is listed on this page.  

California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth

If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university or career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.

California College Pathways

The goal of the California College Pathways is to increase the number of foster youth in California who enter higher education and achieve an academic outcome by expanding access to campus support programs, such as the Guardian Scholars Program, the Renaissance Scholars Program and other successful approaches to supporting former foster youth on campus.

California Life Line Program

California Youth Connection

California Youth Connection (CYC) is guided, focused and driven by current and former foster youth with the assistance of other committed community members.  CYC promotes the participation of foster youth in policy development and legislative change to improve the foster care system, and strives to improve social work practice and child welfare policy. CYC Chapters in counties throughout the state identify local issues and use grassroots and community.

Casey Family Program

Casey Family Programs is the nation’s largest operating foundation entirely focused on foster care. Since 1966, we have worked to provide and improve—and ultimately prevent the need for—foster care in the United States. As advocates for change, we are committed to our 2020 Strategy – an ambitious yet attainable goal to safely reduce the number of children in foster care and improve the lives of those who remain in care.

Children Uniting Nation

CUN is a proactive organization created to bring attention to the plight of at-risk and foster youth. The goal is to reach as many children in out-of-home care by offering role-model support, guidance, a sense of community and promote the importance of an education. Inspired by the Day of the Child, CUN wanted mentoring to be more accessible to children living in foster care and therefore created a mentoring program to be administered in every city nationwide.

Safe Place for Youth

We work with youth to transition off the streets and into stable housing through three core areas of service: Drop-In Center, Street Outreach, and Case Management. We work with each individual youth to assist them to build resiliency, a stronger sense of self, and take back control over their daily lives, while maintaining awareness and respect for basic human rights. SPY incorporates best practice models that include a harm-reduction and trauma informed approach with low barriers to entry.

Community Build

Community Build, Inc. is dedicated to the revitalization of South Los Angeles communities through investment in youth and commercial economic development. Community Build is a non-profit community development corporation established in 1992 in response to the conditions that led to the Los Angeles Civil Unrest of 1992. Its youth outreach prioritizes comprehensive and wrap-around services for at-risk youth, out-of-school youth, foster youth, youth offenders, gang-involved youth, and first-generation college bound youth. Community Build believes that youth, young adults and their families are a tremendous resource deserving investment and enabling their active participation as contributors to the local and global economies

Daniel’s Place and Step Up on Second

Step Up delivers compassionate support to people experiencing serious mental illness to help them recover, stabilize, and integrate into the community. Through dynamic partnerships, we provide positive social and learning environments, vocational training, permanent supportive housing opportunities, and recovery services to empower individuals to cultivate lives of hope and dignity. We exercise innovative leadership and advocacy to increase public understanding, support and acceptance of all people living with mental illness. Phone: (310) 392-5855

Department of Children and Family Services (D.C.F.S)

The Department of Children and Family Services, with public, private and community partners, provides quality child welfare services and supports so children grow up safe, healthy, educated and with permanent families.

Enhanced Emergency Shelter Program (EESP)

Temporary shelter for for clients aged 18-25 for up to 29 days. Locations in South El Monte, Los Angeles, Long Beach. 4 additional confidential locations for female victims of DV. Phone: (213) 738-6194

Families First

EMQ FamiliesFirst does whatever it takes to help children in crisis and their families. We are recognized for innovative mental health treatment, foster care and social services that help families recover from trauma, abuse and addiction, and rebuild their lives. We fight for sustainable change and advocate for improvements in the local, state and federal systems that serve children in need.

First Place for Youth

Founded in 1998, First Place for Youth was the first organization in Northern California to provide affordable housing and supportive services to former foster youth, and today is considered a national model for providing permanent housing for high risk youth.  The agency works to ensure that all foster youth have the opportunity to experience a safe, supported transition from foster care.  Through a housing program, an employment and academic enrichment program, counseling, youth community center, collaboration with other Bay Area agencies, and community education, First Place helps youth to gain the skills they need to live independently and succeed on their own.

Caregiver Advocacy Network (CAN)

The Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman was established by legislation, California Senate Bill 933 (Chapter 311/Statutes of 1998) and has been mandated to do the following:Ensure the voice of foster children and youth is heard, and act on their behalf.

Create an avenue for foster children and youth to file complaints regarding their placement, care and services without fear of retribution from those who provide their care and services. Act as an independent forum for the investigation and resolution of complaints made by or on behalf of children placed in foster care and make appropriate referrals. Provide children and youth with information on their rights when placed in foster care. Maintain a toll-free telephone number which foster children and youth may call from anywhere in California to express their concerns and complaints. Phone: 1-877-846-1602


Fostering Futures

Fostering Futures was founded to provide scholarships and other support to this special population of young people throughout California, former foster youth who have proven themselves scholastically and have demonstrated the motivation and perseverance required to carry them into successful adulthood.

Independent Living Program

To provide comprehensive services and resources to assist transition age youth (TAY) successfully transition from dependency to self sufficiency.

John Burton Foundation

The John Burton Foundation for Children Without Homes is a non-profit organization based in San Francisco, California dedicated to improving the quality of life for California’s homeless children and developing policy solutions to prevent homelessness.

Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services (DPSS)

The Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) serves an ethnically and culturally diverse community through programs designed to both alleviate hardship and promote health, personal responsibility, and economic independence. The Department provides the following benefits and services to low-income residents of Los Angeles County: Temporary financial assistance and employment services for families and individuals. Free and low-cost health care insurance for families with children, pregnant women and aged/blind/disabled adults. Food benefits for families and individuals. In-home services for elderly and disabled individuals. Financial assistance and advocacy for federal disability benefits for disabled individuals. These services are provided locally throughout the many communities that comprise Los Angeles County.

Los Angeles Transit

Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) is unique among the nation's transportation agencies. It serves as transportation planner and coordinator, designer, builder and operator for one of the country's largest, most populous counties. More than 9.6 million people - nearly one-third of California's residents - live, work, and play within its 1,433-square-mile service area.

Mario Batali Foundation

The mission of the Mario Batali Foundation is to educate and empower children, encourage them to dream big while providing them with the necessary tools to become an active force for change in today’s world. In an effort to do so, the MBF strives to ensure all children are well read, well fed and well cared for.


Now in its 50th year, OPCC (formerly Ocean Park Community Center) is the largest social services agency on the Westside of Los Angeles. A non-profit organization headquartered in Santa Monica, OPCC provides highly effective, fully integrated services to the most traumatized, vulnerable and needy members of our community—homeless individuals, victims of domestic violence, at-risk youth, indigent Veterans, and people dealing with severe physical or mental illness or substance abuse. We are the only West L.A.-based agency that offers a comprehensive system of care to solve the complex, multi-faceted problems of this diverse population. As a result, we have the wide-ranging expertise and programs that enable us to tailor services to the needs of each person, however complicated those needs may be. OPCC offers seven core services that provide support in the areas of housing, domestic violence, physical health, mental health, life skills/wellness, income services and substance abuse. All are designed to improve self-sufficiency, restore dignity, and enable our clients to be contributing members of our community, enhancing the quality of life for everyone. Phone: (310) 450-4050

Orangewood Children’s Foundation

The Orangewood Children's Foundation focuses on the ongoing needs of children in the foster care system, developing a wide range of activities, scholarships, support and programs to give every child every chance to succeed.

Foster Care to Success

We help by providing tuition grants as well as book money, living stipends and emergency funding for the unexpected expenses that could derail the most dedicated student on a tight budget. We also provide academic coaches, personal mentors, care packages and internship opportunities to the 5,000 young people we serve annually, enabling them to enjoy a college completion rate many times that of their peers who lack such support.

Para Los Niños Youth Development Services (YDS)

Para Los Niños Youth Development Services (YDS) is a program contracted by the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services to assist youth living in Los Angeles’ SPA 6 with successfully transitioning from foster care to self-sufficient independent living. YDS offers current and former youth in foster care, between the ages of 14 and 21, one-on-one tutorial services, life skills training courses, mentoring services and access to all of Para Los Niños’ programs.

Program services include: Education Assessments, Tutorial Services, Life Skills Training Classes, Life Skills Parenting Track for parenting and expecting teens/young adults, Mentoring Services, Youth Advocacy Board and a Drop-In Center. With the support of community collaborative partners, youth also benefit from supportive services such as case management, legal and health clinics, financial literacy classes, art programs, job assistance, and higher education workshops.

Rental Assistance

Rental Assistance is available to former foster/probation youth. Provide required documents to your ILP Coordinator if you are eligible for ILP services and need assistance.

United Friends of the Children

United Friends of the Children is a nonprofit organization dedicated to bettering the lives of foster children and to supporting former foster youth in their journey to become successful, independent adults. Through our programs, advocacy efforts, and direct involvement with youth, UFC seeks to be a catalyst for change.

BGS Community Transitional Housing Resources


Have all your housing related questions answered, and see what housing resources are available to you. In addition if you are in need of stay through housing during the UCLA academic holiday breaks, please contact Terriel Cox. 
Housing Services Phone: 310-206-7011

Bridge of Faith (Whittier) - FEMALES ONLY

Mailing address: P.O. Box 9108, Whittier, CA 90608

Contact: Ms. Carol Reza

Phone: (562) 322-5265


Requirements: ILP eligibility NOT required, In addition there is No age limit.

Additional Info: Rent is $600/month rent (includes meals).


C.H.A.I.N.Reaction Inc. ( Los Angeles ) - THP-Plus Program

Address: 400 Corporate Pointe Suite 300, Culver City, CA 90230

Contact:  Jessica St. Paul

Phone: 310-428-1290


Requirements: Must be AB-12 eligible. Age limit is 18 to 20 years of age.

Transit David and Margaret Youth and Family Services – THP+FC/THP-Plus Program

Address: 1350 3rd Street, La Verne, CA 91750

Contact: Janet Orozco

Phone: 909-596-5921 Ext. 3153


Requirements: THP+FC required extended foster care eligibility (AB12).  Youth can be eligible up until their 21st birthday and must be a dependent of either the DCFS or Probation system.  The program includes housing (including money for food, clothing and transportation), case management, life skills and youth workforce training.  THP-Plus is for youth who have emancipated from dependency.  Youth in the program pay a subsidized rent, attend case management, life skills and youth workforce.  Youth are eligible for only 24 months of program services and must be preapproved through the county offices for eligibility.  Youth in this program are required to work and/or go to school full-time.  Housing for both programs is located in the upper east end of the San Gabriel Valley in Los Angeles County.

Gwen Bolden Manor (Los Angeles)

Address: 1302 E. 41st Street, Los Angeles, CA 90011

Contact: Richard Walker

Phone: (323) 231-8600


Requirements: Age limit is 18 to 24 years of age. Must be attending school and employed.

Additional Info: Rent is currently $259/month (utilities not included).

Penny Lane (North Hills and Antelope Valley)
Contact: Mary Bratten

Rancho San Antonio Independent Living (Chatsworth) MALES ONLY
Address: 21000 Plummer Street, Chatsworth, CA 91311
Contact: Richard Bartley
Phone: (818) 882-6400 x199
Requirements: Age limit is 18 to 23 years of age. Must be former foster care or probation youth, that are no longer monitored by the juvenile court. Must have no adult criminal record. AB-12 eligibility not required.

Renaissance Unlimited Homes (Los Angeles) –THP Plus Program
Website: N/A
Address: 2718 Redondo Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90016
Contact:  Chris Onyegbaduo
Phone: (909) 262-8015 or (323) 935-1786
Email: N/A
Requirements: Age Limit 16 to 20. AB-12 eligiblity required.

Richstone Family Center (Hawthorne) FEMALES ONLY –THP Plus Program
Address: 4431 West 137th Place, Hawthorne, CA 90505
Contact: Kaleena Prate
Phone: (310) 970-0261
Requirements: Age limit 18 to 24. Youth must be “aged out” of foster care or Probation.

Salvation Army/The Way In
Address 5939 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90028
Contact: N/A
Phone:(323) 469-2946
Email: N/A
Requirements: 2 year program. Age limit is 18 to 21 years of age.

United Friends of the Children –THP Plus Program
Address:1055 Wilshire Blvd., Suite #1955, Los Angeles, CA 90017
Contact: Yvonne Chang, LCSW (Intake Coordinator)
Phone: (213) 580-1822
Fax: (213)580-1820
Requirements:Must be 18 to 23 years of age, former foster or probation youth who has been emancipated from LA County, and currently homeless or at-risk of homelessness. Additional Information: Able to accommodate an individual with one child.

Volunteers of America “Women’s Care Cottage” (North Hollywood) FEMALES ONLY
Website: N/A
Address: 3600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite #1500, Los Angeles. CA 90010
Contact: Jasmine Nelson
Phone: 213-580-1822
Fax: 818-623-0530
Requirements: Must have ILP eligibility, but they do take regular homeless individuals. Age limit is between 18-22. Additional Information: Accept individuals who have 1 child, of the age 1 or younger.

A Sense of Home
Address: N/A
Contact: Georgie Smith
Phone: 310-710-6893
Requirements: Must be attending school or working at least 30 hours a week. The only requirement is that you pay it forward, volunteering your time. Additional Information: Doesn’t provide transitional housing, but they help completely furnish your 1st apartment.

Youth Moving On
Address: 456 E. Orange Grove Blvd, Suite 140, Pasadena, CA 91104
Contact: Jimmy Jacobs
Phone: 626.765.6010
Requirements: Age Limit is 18 to 25 years of age. Must be ILP eligible.

YWCA Santa Monica-Westside’s Housing & Education Program (Santa Monica)
Address: 2019 14th Street Santa Monica, CA 90405
Contact: Maria Abenes
Phone: 310-314-1466
Fax: 310-392-7578
Requirements: Female Only!!! Age limit is 18 to 24 years old. Youth must have “aged-out” of foster care or Probation. ILP eligibility not required.

Commuter and Transportation

Free Tap Card

Free ILP Driving Lessons: If you are ILP eligible and have an open case with DCFS, you may qualify for $550 in driving lessons. Make sure to ask your social worker or ILP coordinator if you qualify.

Auto Insurance: If you are a former foster youth and/or probation youth you qualify for auto insurance ONE time only. Available to TAY (transition age youth) ages 18-20 with car insurance to support a safe and legal driving plan if employed or participating in a post-secondary education plan.

Health and Wellness


Medical: FFCC provides medical coverage to youth up to age 26, who were in foster care in any state on their 18th birthday.

Exodus Mental Health Urgent Care Centers

LA Department of Mental Health MHSA Program

Pregnant and Parenting Students

Pregnant and Parenting Teen Conference:A PPT Conference is a voluntary meeting for parenting and pregnant teens in foster care where you can share your concerns, identify things you need and figure out your plans for you and your baby. A resource specialist will also be present to help you with any needs. Your social worker or attorney can help you arrange for one, just ask!

Infant supplement:If you're in foster care and have a child, an infant supplement of up to $400 per month is provided. The infant supplement is paid to your foster parent, caregiver or you if you are living in a Supervised Independent Living Program (SILP) Your social worker should be notified so they can submit the DFCS 280 Request.

Nurse-Family Partnership Program (NFP): a free, voluntary program for first time moms of any age. A nurse will visit you throughout your pregnancy and until your baby turns two, supporting you and answer any questions or concerns.

Free Doula:Want to have an easier labor and support when you deliver? Then you want a doula! A doula is a specially trained woman who helps during childbirth, and if you want to breastfeed, she will help you get started. She is there for you and you alone. She does not work for your doctor, hospital or DCFS, she will advocate for any of your needs that you may not feel comfortable requesting. If you are in foster care or probation, the Joy in Birthing Foundation will provide you with a doula for free.

Welcome Baby

Women, Infants, and Children

Early Head Start

Financial Assistance for Childcare:Childcare is expensive but don't let that discourage you from seeking it. You may be eligible for financial assistance. If you are in foster care, your baby is not detained and lives with you, and you are working or going to school, DCFS may help you pay for child care for a period of time. Talk to your social worker.

Child Support

Scholarship and Financial Resources

California Chafee

Guardian Scholars Book Fund

Study Abroad UCLA scholarship